Sunday 18 February 2018

The House that Buddhi Built

This is the house that Buddhi built.



 As some of you know, I went to Nepal soon after the earthquake in 2015 - invited by friends who wanted me to see that the country was still up and running and open for business. And it was - hotels were still open; guides were ready with their kit to take trekkers up the mountains; restaurant kitchens still smelled of oil and chillies. There was damage - and an urgent need to get on with the rebuilding - but more than anything the country needed its economy to get back on its feet. And that meant the return of tourism.

But I couldn’t avoid seeing the damage, the families living in tents in Kathmandu, the homes propped up by poles or bits of corrugated tin. And among these damaged home was Buddhi’s.

Let me tell you a bit about him. Some years ago he took me into the mountains. I hufffed and puffed up the slightest incline and he was beside me for every step. He phoned ahead to find me the best rooms in the tea houses. And when I flagged he took my rucksack and carried it. He is funny and kind and he kept me safe.

And he has a hearing problem. He was born with only one ear, and his hearing in that ear is beginning to fade. Life as a guide is becoming impossible. He cannot take a big group (and get the big tips), and has to rely on single trekkers or couples. It is barely enough to keep his family - and certainly not enough to rebuild his broken house. It would cost £1500.00 to replace it.

And so I wrote After the Earthquake and all proceeds went towards a new house for him, and appealed to anyone who had a penny or two spare, and we raised the money. I thank you all. 

But really, we did the easy bit. We didn’t carry bricks up the mountain. We didn’t work in the blazing sun, nor in the monsoon, to build the walls and put on a roof to keep the family dry. We didn’t wield a paintbrush go make this new home look beautiful. Buddhi did all that himself.

I won’t show you a picture of Buddhi’s old house, nor the drawn look on his face when I saw him just after the earthquake. But this is how happy he is now.


6 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy Jo! I'm so glad I contributed maybe a few bricks. It's nice to know who you have helped personally rather than give a drop in the ocean to some huge charity. I'm so glad Buddhi is smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many thanks for your bricks, Anne - from Buddhi, and from me!

      Delete
  2. That is just lovely, Jo! It is so heart warming to know that you in particular, and some of us just a little, have helped to bring a smile to his face. That is a wonderful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly wonderful to see him so happy. Lucky me!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful thing this is! I'm glad that I contributed in my small way - but I would buy your books anyway, I always find them so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Jenny - for your support, and your loyal reading!

      Delete